One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
plural nounNorth American
A dish of cooked potatoes, typically with onions added, that have been chopped into small pieces and fried until brown.
- ‘Let hash browns cook for the full time called for in the recipe before turning so they'll develop a nice brown crust (peek after about 4 minutes to make sure they don't burn).’
- ‘Whether you're making our potato pancakes or old-fashioned hash browns, one of the keys is to shred the spuds to the right consistency.’
- ‘I took my time eating a breakfast consisting of eggs, bacon, hash browns, salads, sandwiches, toasts and other stuff.’
- ‘I opted for the typical American breakfast of eggs, beef bacon, hashed browns, pancakes, and coffee.’
- ‘But some soldiers demand their daily bacon, eggs and hash browns because they need those calories and don't gain weight on that diet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.