One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for daddy longlegs (sense 1 of the noun)
- ‘The 400-million-year-old fossil organ belongs to a harvestmen or daddy longlegs, a non-web-spinning arachnid, related to mites and ticks.’
- ‘Cave crickets and harvestmen or ‘daddy longlegs’ that live inside the caves during the day and feed outside the caves at night contribute important nutrients to the cave ecosystem.’
- ‘I'm sure it wasn't a harvestman, since it had a web.’
- ‘In one species of harvestman in Panama it is the males, rather than the females, that take care of the young, a very rare phenomenon.’
- ‘While some species may be better at hunting than others, most harvestmen scavenge dead plants and animals, only occasionally catching relatively easy prey, such as small caterpillars.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.