One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- another term for daddy longlegs (sense 1 of the noun)
- ‘Cave crickets and harvestmen or ‘daddy longlegs’ that live inside the caves during the day and feed outside the caves at night contribute important nutrients to the cave ecosystem.’
- ‘The 400-million-year-old fossil organ belongs to a harvestmen or daddy longlegs, a non-web-spinning arachnid, related to mites and ticks.’
- ‘While some species may be better at hunting than others, most harvestmen scavenge dead plants and animals, only occasionally catching relatively easy prey, such as small caterpillars.’
- ‘I'm sure it wasn't a harvestman, since it had a web.’
- ‘In one species of harvestman in Panama it is the males, rather than the females, that take care of the young, a very rare phenomenon.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.