One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An ant that gathers and stores seeds and grain as a communal food source for the colony.
Messor and other genera, family Formicidae
- ‘Grassland harvester ants harvest very few seeds of the most abundant species at the beginning of a season, but switch during the season possibly due to increasing rarity of the preferred species.’
- ‘Some ants, known collectively as harvester ants, do consume seeds, but the seeds they eat are typically those of grasses or other plants that lack elaiosomes.’
- ‘There are 22 species of harvester ants in the United States with most occurring in the west.’
- ‘Harvester ants will eat almost anything but their favorite foods are fresh vegetables and fruits.’
- ‘The shuttle carried 15 large harvester ants found normally in the western United States so that the students could learn how space's extremely low gravity affects their tunneling behavior.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.