Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A nocturnal mouse found in North and Central America.
- ‘The salt marsh harvest mouse is a small nocturnal rodent that makes its home and all of its meals out of pickleweed, a native plant growing in the salt marshes.’
- ‘High winter tides temporarily flush endangered salt-marsh harvest mice from their burrows.’
- ‘Across North America, the Western Harvest Mouse inhabits sagebrush steppe and agricultural areas in areas below elevations of 500 m.’
- ‘Decadent pickleweed stands and invasive nonnative grasses, effects of the lack of tidal action, supplied poor quality habitat for the salt marsh harvest mouse on the Entry Triangle Marsh.’
- ‘As a result, several species unique to these wetlands are now listed as threatened or endangered, including the salt marsh harvest mouse and the California clapper rail (Rallus longirostris obsoletus).’
2A small northern Eurasian mouse with a prehensile tail, nesting among the stalks of growing grains and other vegetation.
- ‘As its name implies the harvest mouse lives along the stems of cereal plants.’
- ‘Foxes, rabbits, harvest mice, house mice, dormice, shrews, weasels, and voles all depend on the hedgerows as a place to breed, hunt or shelter.’
- ‘Harvest Mice are the smallest British rodents, being just 5 to 7 cm in length’
- ‘A great deal of care has gone into choosing a new habitat to help the re-introduction of the harvest mouse which used to live in great numbers in Cheshire.’
- ‘Harvest mice are active day and night, although most activity occurs at dusk. They do not hibernate, but spend most of their time underground in the winter.’
harvest mouse/ˈhärvəst mous/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.