One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A large crested eagle of tropical rainforests, often preying on monkeys.
- ‘Enjoy an evening with cinematographer Neil Rettig and his amazing film featuring the harpy eagle from the rain forests of South America.’
- ‘Although both areas have a similar climate and shared original native fauna, Barro Colorado Island lost its top predators - jaguars, pumas, and harpy eagles - after construction of the Panama Canal cut it off from the mainland.’
- ‘Something about the openness of the country must conduce to largeness: this is the territory of giant anteaters and giant river otters, 20-foot-long caimans and large harpy eagles soaring overhead.’
- ‘The most powerful bird of prey on Earth, the harpy eagle, weighs up to 20 pounds (nine kilograms), has a seven-foot wing span, and is armed with talons as big as grizzly bear claws.’
- ‘The parklands are home to some of the last remaining stretches of the species-abundant Atlantic rain forest and many creatures on the ‘threatened’ list like the giant otter, Brazilian jaguar and harpy eagle.’
harpy eagle/ˈhärpē ˈēɡəl/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.