One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Ledbetter is a specialist in early music, a harpsichordist, historian and composer, with other writings including Harpsichord and Lute Music in 17 th-Century France and Continuo Playing According to Handel.’
- ‘I first encountered Raymond Leppard as the brilliant harpsichordist in Barbirolli's recording of Purcell's Dido and Aeneas.’
- ‘For the harpsichordist the ornaments, the trills and extra notes, are partly there to prolong the note, to emphasise it or give it a certain colour, and on the piano that can be done with the instruments natural sustain and dynamic range.’
- ‘A child of Johann Sebastian's first marriage, he was universally recognised as being one of the greatest harpsichordists of all time.’
- ‘Carl Philipp Emmanuel studied music only with his famous father, and he must have been a brilliant keyboard player; the future Frederick the Great chose the young man to be his harpsichordist, a post he held for almost 30 years.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.