One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Brian looked like the romantic, idealistic and harmfully quixotic sort.’
- ‘Explanations requiring the supernatural are now not merely quaint but harmfully distracting to children and other innocents.’
- ‘Although in a modern Western diet salt is plentiful - sometimes harmfully superfluous - its normal concentration in the body fluids is essential to the maintenance of a normal blood volume.’
- ‘It's important to tell your doctor or pharmacist if you are taking St John's wort (or thinking of taking it) as it can interact harmfully with other medicines you might be on.’
- ‘Even in the worst instances, such as the explosion at a chemical plant in Seveso, Italy in 1976, nobody has ever been exposed to harmfully high doses for prolonged periods.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.