One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Zhdanov's tirades had included his description of Anna Akhmatova as ‘a nun or a whore - or rather both a nun and a whore who combines harlotry with prayer.’’
- ‘The first part of the essay is a story which her mother tells her about her allegedly adulterous aunt, villainized and accused of harlotry.’
- ‘There is something appealing about the combination of purity and harlotry we associate with blonde hair.’
- ‘Through chastity, as opposed to adultery and harlotry, both spiritual and physical, a person refuses to be made into an instrument and vessel of pleasure.’
- ‘I felt sorry for every pregnant woman I saw now and took the pill, the only regular thing in my life till harlotry began.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.