A hot sauce or paste used in North African cuisine, made from chili peppers, paprika, and olive oil.
- ‘And even quite good couscous restaurants will serve you the customary accompanying hot condiment - harissa - straight out of a tin.’
- ‘A little ready-made harissa (hot chilli paste) will turn up the heat, Lamour-style.’
- ‘Whether it's kimchi in Korea, harissa in Tunisia, or achar in India, spicy condiments remain constant in the daily meals of very different countries.’
- ‘In the past two weeks I have barbecued skinny lamb chops marinated in spicy harissa, Greek sausages, calamari and some beautiful little sardines.’
- ‘Sometimes they invited us to share, and the spicy sausages, with a smudge of fiery harissa, were wonderful, though it was hard to see our hosts through the smoke.’