One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A green bean with a very narrow edible pod and very small seeds.
- ‘A great, elaborately prepared dinner of leg of lamb, haricots verts and new potatoes is easy to appreciate.’
- ‘The dish starts with improbably flavorful green beans so good it doesn't feel pretentious to call them haricots verts steamed until just tender.’
- ‘Arrange the tuna on a plate and top each piece with a baby carrot, haricots verts, micro herbs, and a corn shoot.’
- ‘There were also leeks and haricots verts.’
- ‘We were not so lucky with an appetizer of grilled squid salad with apples, haricots verts and olive oil; the squid was strong tasting and tough from overcooking.’
- ‘We are eating lamb, roast potatoes, carrots and haricots verts.’
- ‘Another notable entree was oven-roasted pork loin, served over a cauliflower puree, alongside date puree, spicy rhubarb chutney and sauteed haricots verts.’
- ‘It was accompanied by a plate of haricots verts and potatoes identical to those accompanying the salmon and a rather steep $40 tab (the fish was $28).’
- ‘Sides like crisp haricots verts, mushrooms and lightly creamy spinach were all decent.’
- ‘We also raved about the grilled tenderloin of pork accompanied by an apple-vin santo chutney, crunchy haricots verts and mashed potatoes.’
- ‘It was served with a mountain of al dente, but boring, haricots verts and boiled potato chunks.’
- ‘Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add haricots verts.’
- ‘In a medium bowl, combine the eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, haricots verts, chives, and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Haricots verts or fresh green beans are a French favourite and were available (loose) in the local market at € 2.50 per kilo.’
- ‘Supermarkets rarely carry fresh French/filet beans (aka haricots verts), the pencil-slim varieties that have a delicate flavor.’
- ‘However, the duck confit was cut up in cold bits and enmeshed in a strange, oily construction of mushrooms and haricots verts.’
- ‘Add haricots verts, plums and parsley, toss to coat and adjust seasoning if necessary.’
- ‘Equally fine was a mixed green salad with feta, cucumbers, haricots verts, pine nuts and a truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘The house salad, a crunchy medley of asparagus, haricots verts, fennel, and ricotta, is perfumed with truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘As with many postcolonial outposts, it functions effectively as an export processing zone for its former masters, in this case supplying haricots verts to France.’
French, ‘green bean’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.