Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A green bean with a very narrow edible pod and very small seeds.
- ‘Equally fine was a mixed green salad with feta, cucumbers, haricots verts, pine nuts and a truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add haricots verts.’
- ‘The dish starts with improbably flavorful green beans so good it doesn't feel pretentious to call them haricots verts steamed until just tender.’
- ‘Another notable entree was oven-roasted pork loin, served over a cauliflower puree, alongside date puree, spicy rhubarb chutney and sauteed haricots verts.’
- ‘It was accompanied by a plate of haricots verts and potatoes identical to those accompanying the salmon and a rather steep $40 tab (the fish was $28).’
- ‘Haricots verts or fresh green beans are a French favourite and were available (loose) in the local market at € 2.50 per kilo.’
- ‘Supermarkets rarely carry fresh French/filet beans (aka haricots verts), the pencil-slim varieties that have a delicate flavor.’
- ‘A great, elaborately prepared dinner of leg of lamb, haricots verts and new potatoes is easy to appreciate.’
- ‘There were also leeks and haricots verts.’
- ‘However, the duck confit was cut up in cold bits and enmeshed in a strange, oily construction of mushrooms and haricots verts.’
- ‘Arrange the tuna on a plate and top each piece with a baby carrot, haricots verts, micro herbs, and a corn shoot.’
- ‘We are eating lamb, roast potatoes, carrots and haricots verts.’
- ‘Sides like crisp haricots verts, mushrooms and lightly creamy spinach were all decent.’
- ‘Add haricots verts, plums and parsley, toss to coat and adjust seasoning if necessary.’
- ‘As with many postcolonial outposts, it functions effectively as an export processing zone for its former masters, in this case supplying haricots verts to France.’
- ‘It was served with a mountain of al dente, but boring, haricots verts and boiled potato chunks.’
- ‘The house salad, a crunchy medley of asparagus, haricots verts, fennel, and ricotta, is perfumed with truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘We also raved about the grilled tenderloin of pork accompanied by an apple-vin santo chutney, crunchy haricots verts and mashed potatoes.’
- ‘We were not so lucky with an appetizer of grilled squid salad with apples, haricots verts and olive oil; the squid was strong tasting and tough from overcooking.’
- ‘In a medium bowl, combine the eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, haricots verts, chives, and sesame seeds.’
French, green bean.
haricot vert/ˌherəkō ˈver/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.