One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A green bean with a very narrow edible pod and very small seeds.
- ‘The dish starts with improbably flavorful green beans so good it doesn't feel pretentious to call them haricots verts steamed until just tender.’
- ‘However, the duck confit was cut up in cold bits and enmeshed in a strange, oily construction of mushrooms and haricots verts.’
- ‘Supermarkets rarely carry fresh French/filet beans (aka haricots verts), the pencil-slim varieties that have a delicate flavor.’
- ‘We are eating lamb, roast potatoes, carrots and haricots verts.’
- ‘Sides like crisp haricots verts, mushrooms and lightly creamy spinach were all decent.’
- ‘The house salad, a crunchy medley of asparagus, haricots verts, fennel, and ricotta, is perfumed with truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘Haricots verts or fresh green beans are a French favourite and were available (loose) in the local market at € 2.50 per kilo.’
- ‘Arrange the tuna on a plate and top each piece with a baby carrot, haricots verts, micro herbs, and a corn shoot.’
- ‘Add haricots verts, plums and parsley, toss to coat and adjust seasoning if necessary.’
- ‘Another notable entree was oven-roasted pork loin, served over a cauliflower puree, alongside date puree, spicy rhubarb chutney and sauteed haricots verts.’
- ‘There were also leeks and haricots verts.’
- ‘We also raved about the grilled tenderloin of pork accompanied by an apple-vin santo chutney, crunchy haricots verts and mashed potatoes.’
- ‘In a medium bowl, combine the eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, haricots verts, chives, and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Equally fine was a mixed green salad with feta, cucumbers, haricots verts, pine nuts and a truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add haricots verts.’
- ‘A great, elaborately prepared dinner of leg of lamb, haricots verts and new potatoes is easy to appreciate.’
- ‘We were not so lucky with an appetizer of grilled squid salad with apples, haricots verts and olive oil; the squid was strong tasting and tough from overcooking.’
- ‘It was served with a mountain of al dente, but boring, haricots verts and boiled potato chunks.’
- ‘As with many postcolonial outposts, it functions effectively as an export processing zone for its former masters, in this case supplying haricots verts to France.’
- ‘It was accompanied by a plate of haricots verts and potatoes identical to those accompanying the salmon and a rather steep $40 tab (the fish was $28).’
French, ‘green bean’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.