Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A green bean with a very narrow edible pod and very small seeds.
- ‘The house salad, a crunchy medley of asparagus, haricots verts, fennel, and ricotta, is perfumed with truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘We also raved about the grilled tenderloin of pork accompanied by an apple-vin santo chutney, crunchy haricots verts and mashed potatoes.’
- ‘A great, elaborately prepared dinner of leg of lamb, haricots verts and new potatoes is easy to appreciate.’
- ‘Equally fine was a mixed green salad with feta, cucumbers, haricots verts, pine nuts and a truffle vinaigrette.’
- ‘Another notable entree was oven-roasted pork loin, served over a cauliflower puree, alongside date puree, spicy rhubarb chutney and sauteed haricots verts.’
- ‘Bring a pot of salted water to a boil and add haricots verts.’
- ‘There were also leeks and haricots verts.’
- ‘The dish starts with improbably flavorful green beans so good it doesn't feel pretentious to call them haricots verts steamed until just tender.’
- ‘Add haricots verts, plums and parsley, toss to coat and adjust seasoning if necessary.’
- ‘As with many postcolonial outposts, it functions effectively as an export processing zone for its former masters, in this case supplying haricots verts to France.’
- ‘It was accompanied by a plate of haricots verts and potatoes identical to those accompanying the salmon and a rather steep $40 tab (the fish was $28).’
- ‘However, the duck confit was cut up in cold bits and enmeshed in a strange, oily construction of mushrooms and haricots verts.’
- ‘Supermarkets rarely carry fresh French/filet beans (aka haricots verts), the pencil-slim varieties that have a delicate flavor.’
- ‘It was served with a mountain of al dente, but boring, haricots verts and boiled potato chunks.’
- ‘We were not so lucky with an appetizer of grilled squid salad with apples, haricots verts and olive oil; the squid was strong tasting and tough from overcooking.’
- ‘We are eating lamb, roast potatoes, carrots and haricots verts.’
- ‘Arrange the tuna on a plate and top each piece with a baby carrot, haricots verts, micro herbs, and a corn shoot.’
- ‘Haricots verts or fresh green beans are a French favourite and were available (loose) in the local market at € 2.50 per kilo.’
- ‘In a medium bowl, combine the eggplant, peppers, cucumbers, haricots verts, chives, and sesame seeds.’
- ‘Sides like crisp haricots verts, mushrooms and lightly creamy spinach were all decent.’
French, green bean.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.