One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A member of the International Society for Krishna Consciousness, a religious sect based mainly in the US and other Western countries. Its devotees typically wear saffron robes, favor celibacy, practice vegetarianism, and chant mantras based on the name of the Hindu god Krishna.
- ‘He's a Perth guy, became a Hare Krishna, changed his name, and travelled all around the world.’
- ‘I know someone down the hall whose granddaughter shaved her head and became a Hare Krishna.’
- ‘I have experienced that to a lesser degree in my life - being condemned for being a Hare Krishna, for being different and incomprehensible.’
- ‘Hare Krishnas belong to ISKCON, the International Society for Krishna Consciousness.’
- ‘Hare Krishnas do not think philosophers and scholars have accomplished much, if they can not free one from death.’
- 1.1 The sect to which Hare Krishnas belong; the International Society for Krishna Consciousness.
- ‘So now I am the proud owner of some Hare Krishna meditation tome with no English text whatsoever.’
- ‘On 3rd April the Mayor of Moscow signed a decree allotting 5 acres of land for a Hare Krishna temple in Moscow.’
- ‘Members of a Hare Krishna temple in Dallas, Texas, are fighting the construction of a McDonald's near the temple, claiming that smell of meat would foul the shared air in the neighbourhood.’
- ‘Frank's sister Yvonne and her Ghanaian husband, Shastra, live next to a Hare Krishna temple in a rain forest outside Accra.’
- ‘I ended up in a squat in Amsterdam and started going to a Hare Krishna temple.’
1960s: Sanskrit, literally ‘O Vishnu Krishna’, the words of a devotional chant.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.