One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A perennial plant that can survive outside unprotected over the winter.
- ‘Fennel is a beautiful, delicate, fernlike plant that is really a hardy perennial.’
- ‘Even hardy perennials, trees, and shrubs cannot tolerate completely frozen roots.’
- ‘Columbines are a very hardy perennial and will thrive in all zones in the United States, as well as in temperate areas in other parts of the world.’
- ‘Most plants that grow during the very short growing season are hardy perennials, such as grasses.’
- ‘As soon as the snow melts (and sometimes even earlier) these hardy perennials spring into action.’
2British informal A thing that recurs continually or at regular intervals.‘political humor will always be among the hardy perennials of late-night TV’
- ‘This topic has become a hardy perennial amongst the Boyz, and has generated much heated commentary.’
- ‘This week we're only in it for the money, or the car, or whatever we can get really, because this edition of The Media Report is all about quiz shows, those hardy perennials of TV and radio.’
- ‘All of this brings us back to the hardy perennials of presidential politics: personality, electability and life history.’
- ‘Another hardy perennial of imperial economic history, which must be significantly modified by this work, is the concept of ‘informal empire.’’
- ‘One thing that the Olympics have always provided is that hardy perennial known as the ‘feel-good story.’’
- ‘It is true that republican sentiment is a hardy perennial as well.’
- ‘It's a bit like under the last years of John Major and the hardy perennial - New Tory split on Europe’
- ‘There is also that hardy perennial of Labour's own selection battles, and McLeish is going to have to handle some unpleasant skirmishes in the run-up to May 2003.’
- ‘Take Fred Zinnemann's High Noon, which is a hardy perennial of film appreciation courses - and rightly so.’
- ‘One of the hardy perennials of political theory asks how, if at all, one might justify the inequality of wealth and opportunity that is so manifest in society.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.