Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The wood from a broadleaved tree (such as oak, ash, or beech) as distinguished from that of conifers.
- ‘The best decking is made of hardwood or pressure-treated softwood.’
- ‘The two basic categories of wood used most often in wood working projects are hardwood and softwood.’
- ‘Or should it be grey, because there's a little strip running along the edge of the tile where it meets the hardwood, and you know, grey and brushed chrome are kinda part of the same family.’
- ‘At the custom level, tropical hardwoods such as teak and mahogany doors are also possible.’
- ‘Some of it will just peel off without damaging the original finish on the hardwood.’
- ‘Fortunately, the building material used then was hardwood and it has survived well, especially given the severities of the tropical climate.’
- ‘The wood engraver uses a hardwood, generally box, sawn across the grain of the wood and highly polished.’
- ‘How many pistols used grips made of walnut is not known, but at some point, the hardwood used was light in color, and the grips were blackened using a paint-like stain.’
- ‘The relative merits of hardwood and softwoods are covered in depth with regard to local availability, strength, moisture content and durability.’
- ‘Units in the development feature oil-fired central heating, teak hardwood front doors and tongue-and-groove white deal flooring upstairs.’
- ‘But I no longer have to turn around every 90 seconds to see if she's rolled off the rug, pulled her socks off and is face down on the hardwood.’
- ‘The two basic categories of wood are hardwood and softwood.’
- ‘Timber windows are surging in popularity, both in tropical hardwoods and pressure treated softwoods like pine and larch.’
- ‘After considering cork and stone floor tiles, we decided to extend the hardwood of the dining area into the kitchen for continuity and a look that made the kitchen seem more like a living space.’
- ‘The rooves are made of temperate hardwood which is widely believed to be more environmentally friendly than tropical hardwood.’
- ‘When selecting your decking planks, always check that the timbers are either hardwood or pressure treated softwood.’
- ‘Wood benches made from hardwood such as teak, redwood, mahogany, or cedar can stay outside year-round.’
- ‘If you use charcoal, buy products made from hardwood because soft woods burn at higher temperatures.’
- ‘During two time periods the hardwood cultivated sites had much higher net N mineralization rates than all other sites.’
- ‘Even bedrooms are being tiled, though usually with radiant floor heat to take off the chill in winter, but more often with hardwood or engineered wood and area rugs.’
- ‘The concrete walls are largely unadorned, but in places are tinted dull pink or blue and clad in horizontal slats of dark tropical hardwood.’
- 1.1A tree producing hardwood.
- ‘Tropical hardwood is the usual material for piers and jetties and its use for such a scheme would be against the council's environmental charter.’
- ‘Myers estimated that logging for tropical hardwoods such as ebony and mahogany was causing the elimination of about 20,000 square miles of tropical forests per year.’
- ‘Prakosa added that the Malaysians should not deny the report as there was solid evidence of the activities of receiving illegal ramin hardwood from Indonesia.’
- ‘There are fragrant conifer forests, rich stands of hardwoods and rolling oak savannahs, pierced by glittering rivers.’
- ‘For example, balsa wood is one of the lightest, least dense woods there is, and it's considered a hardwood.’
- ‘Despite its superior strength, teak wood is not too heavy, making export of the hardwood popular.’
- ‘The spotlight falls on mahogany this week with news of the first worldwide agreement to ban the international trade of the endangered tropical hardwood.’
- ‘He described four principal forest types: upland pines, upland pine-hardwood, upland hardwood, and bottomland hardwood.’
- ‘‘The larger feed wheels work better in crooked trees, especially hardwood, and the maintenance costs are lower,’ he explains.’
- ‘Rich hardwoods of myrtle, blackwood, sassafras and Huon pine mingle with common eucalypts.’
- ‘During the storms of January 7-8, more than 500,000 trees were blown down across Cumbria, including hardwoods, such as oaks, birch, beech and sycamore.’
- ‘The mushroom business has proven a perfect complement to her tree nursery, which contains a collection of native hardwoods such as oak, ash and holly.’
- ‘Kenegy owns a small mill and, with the hardwood he selectively harvests, produces high-quality furniture stock.’
- ‘The rolling hills of northern Wisconsin's glacial kettle moraine are densely forested with hardwoods, birch and aspen and pitted with potholes and lakes.’
- ‘The whole centre of the space has been covered by a low and most elegantly detailed platform of lpe, a sustainable tropical hardwood, which is highly resistant to rot and wear.’
- ‘Soil nutrients and nitrification appeared to vary more by land use in hardwood stands than in conifer stands.’
- ‘In some areas, Barley says, the beetle kill has caused a conversion from a mixed conifer forest to one dominated by hardwoods, most notably oaks.’
- ‘French Guiana's economy relies on the export of tropical hardwood and valuable seafood such as shrimp.’
- ‘The trees are bigger, of course: We see several specimens of roble, a prized hardwood, that might be a few centuries old.’
- ‘The champion bluegum may be the biggest naturalized tree and the biggest hardwood in America, but for many, it's also the biggest weed.’
2(in gardening) mature growth on shrubs and other plants from which cuttings may be taken.
- ‘This method still applies to hardwood cuttings of deciduous plants.’
- ‘Jostaberries are easily propagated by hardwood stem cuttings.’
- ‘Instead of throwing the buddleia, rose or other prunings away use them as hardwood cuttings and plant in a trench in a sheltered part of the garden.’
- ‘When using the second method for rooting hardwood cuttings of deciduous plants you do everything exactly the same as you do with method number one, up to the point where you bury them for the winter.’
- ‘Winter may not seem like the best time for gardening, but it's actually an excellent time to propagate plants from hardwood or root cuttings.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.