One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or condition of being hard.‘people complained about the hardness of the chairs’‘a lack of mental hardness’
firmness, solidity, stiffness, rigidity, denseness, inflexibility, inelasticity, resistancehard-heartedness, heartlessness, cold-heartedness, lack of compassion, lack of feeling, lack of sentiment, callousness, unkindness, flintiness, steelinessView synonyms
- ‘The woman in his office has a hardness, even a harshness in her face and voice.’
- ‘That mix of humanity and hardness rolled together has made many a local hero or heroine in working class communities throughout the years.’
- ‘A diamond is a gem excelling in brilliance and remarkable for extreme hardness.’
- ‘Snow depth and hardness are major factors influencing winter fodder resources.’
- ‘Requests for special sizes, hardnesses, and colors can be readily accommodated.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.