Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The ability to endure difficult conditions.‘I applaud you on your hardiness’
robustness, healthiness, strength, toughness, vigour, ruggedness, sturdiness, resilience, stamina, good healthView synonyms
- ‘The British War Office prized this horse for war use because of its strength, endurance, hardiness, disposition, tractability and unflappability.’
- ‘The slender, silky coated canine is known for its hardiness, stamina, intelligence, and speed.’
- ‘This session started with an ego-strengthening metaphor, using the tree as a symbol of strength, power, hardiness and beauty.’
- ‘Their frugality, intense militarism and hardiness stood them in very good stead, as did their love of what contemporaries called liberty: freedom from foreign control.’
- ‘Select high-yielding varieties with good straw strength, winter hardiness, and resistance to the important diseases in your area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.