One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The ability to endure difficult conditions.‘I applaud you on your hardiness’
robustness, healthiness, strength, toughness, vigour, ruggedness, sturdiness, resilience, stamina, good healthView synonyms
- ‘The British War Office prized this horse for war use because of its strength, endurance, hardiness, disposition, tractability and unflappability.’
- ‘This session started with an ego-strengthening metaphor, using the tree as a symbol of strength, power, hardiness and beauty.’
- ‘Select high-yielding varieties with good straw strength, winter hardiness, and resistance to the important diseases in your area.’
- ‘The slender, silky coated canine is known for its hardiness, stamina, intelligence, and speed.’
- ‘Their frugality, intense militarism and hardiness stood them in very good stead, as did their love of what contemporaries called liberty: freedom from foreign control.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.