Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Stiff board made of compressed and treated wood pulp.
- ‘Paneling with solid wood T & G boards is more tedious than with hardboard panels, but their weight and stiffness mean they require less support.’
- ‘Do not use solvents on hardboard or particleboard panels, as it may damage the surface.’
- ‘You can get a similar effect with trellis or pierced hardboard, painted to contrast with the shelf for a permanent decorative edging.’
- ‘Composition hardboard siding is commonly used on wood frame residences because it has the appearance of wood, at significantly less cost.’
- ‘He works with unusual tools but achieves the required effect on hardboard and canvas.’
- ‘Cotton canvas has become more popular than linen, being particularly suited to the use of acrylic primers and paints, and plywood and compressed wood fibre boards, such as hardboard, have largely replaced timber for making panels.’
- ‘Then I moved into my own space, but all it comprised was a recess off the main room separated by hardboard sliding doors.’
- ‘Create a template from hardboard and transfer the pattern to the 1x8 redwood slats.’
- ‘But in the article, published on BBC News Online, Dr Whitehouse described his rocket as a ‘converted cement mixer with sheets of hardboard and a few computer joysticks’.’
- ‘If the stuffed animal has cardboard or hardboard stiffeners or joints, these can be destroyed in a washing machine.’
- ‘Elizabeth Steele contributes an analysis of the commitment the artist maintained to the material with which he began as a teen-ager - poster paints, paper, and hardboard.’
- ‘Siding can range from hardboard in 4x8-foot plywood sheets to hardboard lap siding to shingles.’
- ‘As most of the posters, especially the ANC and the DA, are made of masonite or hardboard, some people use them to build shacks or decorate rooms because they can't afford building materials.’
- ‘Other materials sold by the sheet include particleboard, waferboard, hardboard and all types of drywall, which are available in sheets up to 4x12.’
- ‘Finally, many forms of silt derive from the wreck itself, including rust particles, carpet fibres, coal dust, hardboard, wood and expanded foam panels, and oil/fuel residues.’
- ‘Find a board onto which to glue the puzzle, such as Masonite or hardboard.’
- ‘It is harder than particle board or hardboard, and can be cut like plywood although it isn't as strong as plywood.’
- ‘You can trap slugs under pieces of wood or cardboard (some professional slug researchers use 50 cm square pieces of hardboard covered with plastic).’
- ‘He began painting with oils on wood, canvas, hardboard, paper and glass, working under the mentorship of his older son Mica, an artist, art historian, critic, poet.’
- ‘Certain types of wood siding like redwood, cedar, and manufactured hardboard siding seem to accelerate the problem.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.