One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- see cheese
Used to express sympathy over a petty matter.
- ‘And that was just hard cheese for particle physicists, and for many years the best people worked on quantum gravity to no avail.’
- ‘Of course, I trust them implicitly, just as I trust all experts with letters after their names, so I rang the Vat helpline. They said hard cheese, your accountants are right.’
- ‘This is hard cheese for many producers across the EU.’
- ‘Your obnoxious politician was quoted in an American blog as saying: ‘America is going to do what it likes or hard cheese.’’
- ‘But if protecting them means doing or allowing harm to us, if it really is ‘us or them’, then hard cheese on them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.