One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A period of the day when drinks are sold at reduced prices in a bar or restaurant.
- ‘There will not be a ban on happy hours but a drinks industry code of practice will ban promotions which encourage speed drinking and excessive drinking.’
- ‘The rigorous new standards for drinks promotions and happy hours are being supported by the Government and police.’
- ‘The branch of Yates's in Fountain Square has now been ordered to stop happy hours and two-for-one drinks promotions and told to install a CCTV system by licensing authorities.’
- ‘The Government wants to end happy hours and slash the price of soft drinks to help rid town centres of rampaging drunks.’
- ‘In the evening, they can while away the happy hour, drinking jugs of Pimms or Sangria.’
- ‘We need to halt happy hours, low priced drinks and selling to under aged drinkers.’
- ‘Prices of food and drinks are very competitive and additionally, most places pass out free drinks and announce happy hours.’
- ‘A nationwide bar chain became the first to tackle the menace of binge drinking yesterday by banning happy hours.’
- ‘A licensing bill, due to be introduced by the Scottish executive, will ban pubs and clubs from running irresponsible drinks promotions, including happy hours.’
- ‘War could now be waged on binge drinking by clamping down on cheap drinks promotions and happy hours, which encourage reckless boozing.’
- ‘Last month Yates became the first nationwide drinks chain to tackle the menace of binge drinking by banning happy hours.’
- ‘The British Beer and Pub Association has decided that happy hours are to be banned in the nearly 30,000 drinking establishments run by its members in an effort to curb binge drinking.’
- ‘This includes, where appropriate, additional powers to limit the opening hours of bars, pubs and clubs and the opportunities for binge drinking caused by happy hours.’
- ‘From this week, association members will be expected to get rid of drinks discounting such as happy hours and fixed-price all-you-can-drink offers.’
- ‘A more effective way to reduce binge drinking is to curb happy hours and other cheap drinks promotions.’
- ‘We need to get rid of the power drinking - things like happy hours and cheap drinks promotions.’
- ‘Listed below are the responses to last year's question about happy hours and special drink promotions.’
- ‘There's not a waiter in sight, not a happy hour drinking crowd or a designer deck chair anywhere.’
- ‘They ask new licensed premises to adhere to conditions which outlaw happy hours and other heavy price discounts which encourage binge drinking.’
- ‘The greasy smell of frying burgers hangs in the air and the streets are littered with rubbish mainly discarded flyers advertising the cheap drinks and happy hours on offer.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.