The state of being happy.‘she struggled to find happiness in her life’‘Tom's heart swelled with happiness’
contentment, pleasure, contentedness, satisfaction, cheerfulness, cheeriness, merriment, merriness, gaiety, joy, joyfulness, joyousness, joviality, jollity, jolliness, glee, blitheness, carefreeness, gladness, delight, good spirits, high spirits, light-heartedness, good cheer, well-being, enjoyment, felicityView synonyms
- ‘It does not provide for the chance for a rest now and then, for decent food and lodgings, or the other little happinesses that this dusky laboratory allows its slaves.’
- ‘That may be so, but it is frightening to imagine a future in which our current happinesses and unhappinesses will no longer exist.’
- ‘If we can understand them, we may see that in their lives they share with us the same happinesses, frustrations and hopes.’
- ‘All happinesses are alike, the knowing novelist intones.’
- ‘This is most welcome news for the region and she is wished every happiness in the area.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.