Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(chiefly of an alga or other lower plant) having a life cycle in which the main form is haploid, with a diploid zygote being formed only briefly.
- ‘Most are saprophytic similar to true fungi. v. Sexual life cycle is diplontic, fungi have haplontic cycle.’
- ‘Multicellular organisms with haplontic life cycles follow paths A and C.’
- ‘This pattern is reverse of haplontic type.’
- ‘If it is primarily haploid, it is said to have a haplontic cycle, and if it is primarily diploid, it is said to have a diplontic cycle.’
- ‘The life-cycle is of haplontic type showing alternation of dominant haploid stage with short-lived diploid stage.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.