One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Relating to or denoting cichlid fishes of a large and diverse group that are particularly abundant in the large lakes of East Africa.
- ‘To test this prediction, we conducted an interspecific female mate choice experiment on four closely related haplochromine cichlid species from Lake Malawi.’
- ‘Our survey of mtDNA control region sequences in lacustrine and fluviatile haplochromine cichlids of the Lake Victoria basin revealed the existence of seven major haplogroups, designated I through VII.’
- ‘Empirical support comes through taxa whose impressive diversifications have been attributed at least in part to sexual selection, including haplochromine cichlids, birds of paradise, and Laupala crickets of Hawaii.’
- ‘Some haplochromine cichlids of Lake Tanganyika (Tropheini, Haplochromini) are the sister group to the species flocks of Lakes Malawi and Victoria.’
- ‘Frans Witte and Kees Barel document the mass extinction of haplochromine cichlids in Lake Victoria, Africa.’
A haplochromine fish.
Haplochromis and related genera, family Cichlidae
- ‘The adults of both species have an average standard body length of 55 mm and hence belong to the category of small haplochromines.’
- ‘The DNA sequences available for Lake Victoria haplochromines include 56 specimens of 24 described plus 9 undescribed species.’
- ‘Fish in the genus Rastrineobola are very common in the diet in terms of occurrence, and are second to haplochromines.’
From the modern Latin genus name.
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.