One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is partially of Asian or Pacific Islander descent.‘some academics theorized that by the turn of the century Asian America would be comprised mostly of hapas’
- ‘Actually there are 1.6 million hapas in the United States.’
- ‘That's me, yes, I'm a hapa too, a baby born of war to a Vietnamese mother and a American serviceman.’
- ‘It's perfectly normal for hapas to deal with identity issues.’
- ‘He wandered over to the barbecue grill where I was talking to another guest, a photographer and fellow Hapa.’
- ‘Being a hapa means feeling forever uneasy, no matter where you are or who you're with, white or Asian.’
- ‘So the hapas will go off to debate their issues and the mixed Africans and the Asians theirs.’
- ‘He grew up in polyglot Oahu, a hapa – the Hawaiian term for someone of mixed heritage – in a place full of hapas.’
- ‘Back home, a hapa may just be considered as "exotic" but here, it feels like we're recognized as the future.’
Hawaiian, literally ‘half’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.