One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A person who is partially of Asian or Pacific Islander descent.‘some academics theorized that by the turn of the century Asian America would be comprised mostly of hapas’
- ‘Back home, a hapa may just be considered as "exotic" but here, it feels like we're recognized as the future.’
- ‘It's perfectly normal for hapas to deal with identity issues.’
- ‘Actually there are 1.6 million hapas in the United States.’
- ‘He wandered over to the barbecue grill where I was talking to another guest, a photographer and fellow Hapa.’
- ‘He grew up in polyglot Oahu, a hapa – the Hawaiian term for someone of mixed heritage – in a place full of hapas.’
- ‘Being a hapa means feeling forever uneasy, no matter where you are or who you're with, white or Asian.’
- ‘So the hapas will go off to debate their issues and the mixed Africans and the Asians theirs.’
- ‘That's me, yes, I'm a hapa too, a baby born of war to a Vietnamese mother and a American serviceman.’
Hawaiian, literally ‘half’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.