Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- ‘When an event occurs by mere hap, there is an element of randomness in its coming about; it might not have occurred, even if all of the conditions relevant to its production had been the same.’
- ‘Notice that in this case we will have a violation of the doctrine of determinism, and indeed determinism might be expressed simply as the thesis that nothing ever occurs by mere hap.’
- ‘And yes, we got ourselves kidnapped by a bunch of off-duty and retired soldiers who were enjoying a Friday beating up hapless journalists (and boy, were we showing no hap at all) far too much.’
- 1.1A chance occurrence, especially an event that is considered unlucky.
- ‘Whether he makes a lame attempt for a steal or a weak effort at a double-team hap, the result is usually an easy basket for an opponent.’
- ‘Happen gives us take place, arrive, come, recur; hap generates chance, accident, hazard, event.’
1 Come about by chance.‘what can hap to him worthy to be deemed evil?’
occur, take place, come about, come off, come into beingView synonyms
- ‘It happed to be that the ‘dove’ was actually a courier, warning him that the feast was to begin in less than an hour.’
- ‘The weirdest thing happed to me a few days ago.’
- ‘He said: ‘It was, without a doubt, the best thing that happed to the club.’’
- ‘It happed most often to Jennifer Grey for some reason.’
- ‘In the case of the policeman who is suing for being put back on the beat, he described an incident where he happed upon the scene of a road accident and was too scared to go and help.’
- 1.1[with infinitive]Have the fortune or luck to do something.‘where'er I happ'd to roam’
Middle English: from Old Norse happ.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.