Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The block of rock that lies above an inclined fault or an ore body.Compare with footwall
- ‘As for the mesoscale normal faults inside the ICruibeke Fault Zone, they cannot be considered as classical brittle planar normal fault planes downwarping a hanging wall relative to a footwall along a single discrete plane.’
- ‘These throw gradients require footwall / hanging wall stratigraphic thickness ratios of up to c.3.3 within mudstones immediately above the Cadna-owie horizon, the origins of which are considered in a later section.’
- ‘Although normal faulting is the dominant deformation style within the study area, folding of pre-rift and syn-rift strata in the footwall and hanging wall of the fault zone is common.’
- ‘The faults have a systematic geometric relationship with folds, with anticlines in the mutual hanging walls of fault pairs and broader footwall synclines that define the shallow dish forms of the polygons.’
- ‘In the Alpine foothills of Provence, Cretaceous syn-rift rocks deposited in the hanging walls of normal growth faults are typically ten times thicker than the equivalent footwall successions.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.