Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Indentation of a paragraph in which all lines except the first are indented.
- ‘This method obviously fails if no break occurs in subsequent lines, but it works for the common, idiomatic use of hanging paragraphs in manual pages.’
- ‘It is easier to look for a particular reference in a list of hanging paragraphs than in a list of ordinary paragraphs.’
- ‘Our normal résumé style is to use block paragraphs at the beginning of a job description, indented paragraphs within job descriptions, and hanging paragraphs for publications.’
- ‘Do the words of the hanging paragraph effect this type of change?’
- ‘This made it very easy to create very nice bullet lists, and the user never had to worry about ‘negative indents’ and hanging paragraphs and stuff like that.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.