One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Indentation of a paragraph in which all lines except the first are indented.
- ‘Our normal résumé style is to use block paragraphs at the beginning of a job description, indented paragraphs within job descriptions, and hanging paragraphs for publications.’
- ‘It is easier to look for a particular reference in a list of hanging paragraphs than in a list of ordinary paragraphs.’
- ‘This method obviously fails if no break occurs in subsequent lines, but it works for the common, idiomatic use of hanging paragraphs in manual pages.’
- ‘Do the words of the hanging paragraph effect this type of change?’
- ‘This made it very easy to create very nice bullet lists, and the user never had to worry about ‘negative indents’ and hanging paragraphs and stuff like that.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.