One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Remain unresolved.‘the question that has been hanging in the air’
continue to exist, endure, last, abide, go on, carry on, persist, hang in the air, stay around, stay round, stand, be extant, hold out, prevail, survive, live onView synonyms
- ‘His question hangs in the air, pointed and defiant.’
- ‘Her question hangs in the air: ‘Who could want to do this?’’
- ‘However, there are questions that remain hanging in the air.’
- ‘Throughout this film, the question hangs in the air.’
- ‘But the question always hangs in the air, ‘Why couldn't we make it work?’’
- ‘Tonight the searches and the forensic tests continue and the big question hangs in the air: what was the target of the bomb plot?’
- ‘He wisely does not make the link too explicit, but the possibility hangs in the air.’
- ‘If she knows about your reputation, the possibility hangs in the air.’
- ‘The question still hung in the air, unanswered, how do you stop them getting away with it?’
- ‘The fact that it's wildlife absolves us of the moral question that hangs in the air when we see footage of humans in mortal danger - why didn't the camera crew do something to help?’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.