Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Writing with a pen or pencil.
writing, script, hand, longhand, letters, penpenmanship, calligraphy, chirographyscrawl, scribbleView synonyms
- ‘I started reading what was scrawled across the page in handwriting that reminded me of his voice.’
- ‘It was a photocopy of a letter written in curvy handwriting on lined paper.’
- ‘It's a page torn from a school notebook, slanting scrawled handwriting on it.’
- ‘She pulled it out, sharply taking in a breath as she read the lovely handwriting of the letter.’
- ‘It had no label, only a sticker scrawled with illegible handwriting.’
- ‘Still saves a human having to struggle to read the scrawl that passes for handwriting today.’
- ‘We long for messages meant especially for us, scrawled in genuine handwriting.’
- ‘Detailed computer print outs eliminate the need to unravel blurred handwriting.’
- ‘Zoom in on the pages - read Leonardo's handwriting [handy mirror tool supplied].’
- ‘Checking that no one observed her, Raychel unfolded the paper and found scrawling handwriting covering it.’
- ‘Alert as ever he wrote me an interesting letter in copperplate handwriting.’
- ‘Flourished, formal handwriting in black ink covered the page in uniform, letters.’
- ‘I do not know whether any members have picked up off the table his amendment in hastily scrawled handwriting.’
- ‘Do you remember how to do real handwriting or are you so rusty your scrawl resembles a doctor's prescription?’
- ‘The other is a tabular document which contains some specific handwriting and printed information.’
- 1.1A person's particular style of writing.‘her handwriting was small and neat’
- ‘I sometimes try to write in between the pictures but my handwriting does not seem to suit the style.’
- ‘The handwriting and style were that of a class geek that Jeremy probably bullied into writing.’
- ‘And the style of your handwriting at that point of time could bare your soul in the presence of others.’
- ‘Ever have one of those days where your handwriting looks better in pencil than it does in pen?’
- ‘It was in the same scrawled handwriting as before, on a regular piece of VCC paper.’
- ‘You can now have your own handwriting printed out via laser or inkjet in various colors.’
- ‘It is from one of the Catalan's final faxes, when his handwriting was little more than a scrawl.’
- ‘The pupils can write on the boards and see their handwriting turned into print and draw pictures on it, which can be transformed into a hard copy.’
- ‘How about help with writing a note to a teacher or improving handwriting, reading and writing letters.’
- ‘On top of mimicking drawings and my mum's handwriting, I also discovered a talent for vocal impressions.’
- ‘She noticed some words scrawled in Dinah's handwriting at the top of her notes.’
- ‘He produced a photocopy of the note, as well as a typewritten transcription of his handwriting.’
- ‘It is claimed that the fresh crosses were made in the same handwriting and with the same blue pen.’
- ‘We had Rogan copy the letter in his own handwriting and matched the outside carrier font to his writing.’
- ‘He sat up and found that he had been laying on a letter with familiar handwriting which spelled out his name.’
- ‘Don't dwell on handwriting and spelling, but read what your child actually has to say.’
- ‘The hardest part was deciphering Jack's handwriting on the scribbled notes which told him which file was which.’
- ‘You'd think that handwriting was easier to identify than typewriting.’
- ‘Style, flair, neatness and layout of handwriting are the criteria that judges use to assess the entries.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.