One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1Made on a hand-operated loom.‘handwoven linens’
- 1.1 Woven by hand.
- ‘Thai crafts include handwoven silk and cotton, woodcarvings, silverwork, basketry, and lacquerware.’
- ‘Only, hand-spun and handwoven cloth can be used for a national flag.’
- ‘While specialty men's stores employ salespeople who know a printed silk tie from a handwoven one, for example, few department stores do.’
- ‘With black handwoven cloth wrapped round his head, this elderly Miao man looks satisfied with his life of hawking deep-fried dough cake.’
- ‘Traditional crafts have also had a long tradition of importance for items such as pottery, handwoven cloth, carved stools, raffia baskets, and gold jewelry.’
- ‘He said the tapis, indicative of the region's distinctive textiles and only found in Lampung, was made from basic handwoven fabric, using handspun yarn and rich natural dyes of deep blue, warm yellow and rusty brown from the mahogany bark.’
- ‘Other crafts include lacquerware, handwoven carpets, handprinted textiles, and tie-dyed fabrics.’
- ‘At current exchange rates, everything's a bargain - covetable leather goods and heavy Karnataka silk, handwoven carpets, temple carvings and spices, cashews, tea and coffee.’
- ‘Rich traditions of decorative art, such as silver jewelry, embroidered garments, handwoven textiles, and architectural decor, are still practiced.’
- ‘It still has all the cachet of being a handwoven, craftsman's fabric but it is now being produced in lighter weights, in wilder colours and being turned into stunning outfits.’
- ‘Fortunately, on our return to Riga, the pleasures of a spectacular Sunday street market, with everything from handwoven linens to smoked fish to live ducks, held in front of the Dom, eased the transition back to reality.’
- ‘This fabric even, though it feels like a knit when you are wearing it, looks like a very expensive handwoven fabric.’
- ‘The handwoven fabric, seamed down the center, is embellished over the entire surface with floral sprays and baskets of flowers and has a rare woven border of three shades of indigo.’
- ‘They are erected on wooden poles and covered with skin, felt or brightly colored handwoven textiles and can be pitched virtually anywhere.’
- ‘Romanian traditional, or peasant costumes, are made from handwoven linen.’
- ‘Carolyn says some of the kimonos - most are handwoven in brand new silk - would otherwise cost thousands of dollars, so it's a good time to grab a bargain.’
- ‘She specialises in delicate handwoven textiles.’
- ‘Striking items, both decorative and functional, are also crafted from handwoven sea cotton adorned with dyes and embroidery.’
- ‘Harris Tweed can have its imitators, but only tweed handwoven in the homes of hardy Hebrideans can bear the orb mark and the stamp of authenticity with the HTA provides.’
- ‘One finds jewelry, baskets, pottery, handwoven fabrics, glass paintings, and woodcarvings.’
- 1.1 Woven by hand.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.