Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An act of balancing on one's hands with one's feet in the air or against a wall.
- ‘Well I was fairly reserved; my mum was super excited and I was internally, so it wasn't like I was jumping around doing handstands or using the trampoline or anything like that.’
- ‘When you see physical strength and ability like that, it's really inspiring - it makes me want to do handstands and backflips.’
- ‘I had discovered that I could kick up without fear, and I loved the feeling of flying up against the wall into a handstand.’
- ‘They are doing handstands, cartwheels and back flips in San Diego for a team that was 1-15 last season.’
- ‘She did everything, but on one of the handstands she was short and they devalued it.’
- ‘We see one monk do a handstand balanced solely on his index fingers.’
- ‘One of the instructors then broke into a flurry of breaking moves that included vault-like leg swinging and inverted human pretzel handstands to make a gymnast blush.’
- ‘They spin on their heads, do back flips, handstands and capoiera moves.’
- ‘After a year attending classes at the Montreal circus school, Corinne was doing wheelies on a unicycle and holding handstands.’
- ‘On bars, I have to make sure the handstands are perfect.’
- ‘She had to do cartwheels and handstands, but was perfect.’
- ‘I've been a gymnast since I can remember and I've been doing random handstands since before I was a gymnast.’
- ‘These range from the not-so-simple cartwheels and handstands, to the sinew-stretching Pyramid Formations and Basket Tosses.’
- ‘You are astonished to discover the man can do cartwheels, handstands and back flips.’
- ‘Ikeda, who won the gold medal on balance beam at the 1954 World Gymnastics Championships, amazed the audience by performing a handstand after mounting the podium to accept her award.’
- ‘Chen, who is now playing elder sister to many of her younger classmates, has already accustomed herself to the endless backward somersaults, handstands and horse vaults.’
- ‘Considering the twins were already doing handstands and backflips while blindfolded on the top of a revolving 16-metre high wheel of death, it's difficult to imagine how the Russians might have gone one better.’
- ‘This action is key for pushing movements in the shot put, the press-up to a handstand in gymnastics, pushing in football and the final push-off to clear the bar in the pole vault.’
- ‘He feels like he is caught in a permanent handstand, feet to the heavens, hands to the earth, swinging free.’
- ‘I tell my gymnast daughter not to do handstands on the settee, while remembering the times I did just that.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.