One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rail fixed to posts or a wall for people to hold on to for support.
- ‘The bird hopped from one perch to the next, calmly inspecting the passing walls and handrails.’
- ‘It nearly gave out beneath him, but he gritted his teeth and slowly inched his way down the stairs, using the handrails for support.’
- ‘That includes everything from walls, ledges, gaps, handrails, stairs and embankments, to rooftops.’
- ‘Occasionally there are fixed ropes and handrails which mark the way.’
- ‘Glass balustrades support stainless steel handrails and slatted panels extend into the gap between deck and cladding.’
- ‘Baroness Thatcher, dressed all in black, looked frail as she clasped the handrail for support before being driven away.’
- ‘They include access paths, handrails, allocated spaces, ramps and boarding devices.’
- ‘Before I could reply, the shuttle jerked into motion, and I grabbed onto the handrail for support.’
- ‘In effect, they are speed bumps for your walls, handrails, curbs, etc.’
- ‘A similar fitting is used on the intermediate newel posts, then the handrail is attached between these fittings.’
- ‘And I can't stand those people who lean on the pole so that you can't hold onto it - its not a leaning post, its a handrail.’
- ‘The stairs are finished with a teak handrail, newel posts, and spindles.’
- ‘All cabin windows are trimmed in teak as well as teak cap rails, handrails and teak overlaid decks.’
- ‘I once fell and pulled the handrail off the wall.’
- ‘Workers say that handrails and temporary supports were removed from the site two hours too early.’
- ‘Two sides had handrails and posts for tying off reins.’
- ‘Consider installing support handrails to make your tub safer, especially if the framing is exposed.’
- ‘They were pinned to the handrails posts and entrance features to the viaduct.’
- ‘Teak handrails are supported on sheets of toughened glass as balusters.’
- ‘In a hotel situation, a guest, or someone else, brings in the virus which is then passed from person to person and from persons to items such as handrails, wall curtains and toilets.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.