One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A rail fixed to posts or a wall for people to hold on to for support.
- ‘Occasionally there are fixed ropes and handrails which mark the way.’
- ‘They include access paths, handrails, allocated spaces, ramps and boarding devices.’
- ‘Two sides had handrails and posts for tying off reins.’
- ‘Before I could reply, the shuttle jerked into motion, and I grabbed onto the handrail for support.’
- ‘In a hotel situation, a guest, or someone else, brings in the virus which is then passed from person to person and from persons to items such as handrails, wall curtains and toilets.’
- ‘In effect, they are speed bumps for your walls, handrails, curbs, etc.’
- ‘They were pinned to the handrails posts and entrance features to the viaduct.’
- ‘The stairs are finished with a teak handrail, newel posts, and spindles.’
- ‘Baroness Thatcher, dressed all in black, looked frail as she clasped the handrail for support before being driven away.’
- ‘Consider installing support handrails to make your tub safer, especially if the framing is exposed.’
- ‘It nearly gave out beneath him, but he gritted his teeth and slowly inched his way down the stairs, using the handrails for support.’
- ‘All cabin windows are trimmed in teak as well as teak cap rails, handrails and teak overlaid decks.’
- ‘A similar fitting is used on the intermediate newel posts, then the handrail is attached between these fittings.’
- ‘And I can't stand those people who lean on the pole so that you can't hold onto it - its not a leaning post, its a handrail.’
- ‘Glass balustrades support stainless steel handrails and slatted panels extend into the gap between deck and cladding.’
- ‘The bird hopped from one perch to the next, calmly inspecting the passing walls and handrails.’
- ‘I once fell and pulled the handrail off the wall.’
- ‘Workers say that handrails and temporary supports were removed from the site two hours too early.’
- ‘That includes everything from walls, ledges, gaps, handrails, stairs and embankments, to rooftops.’
- ‘Teak handrails are supported on sheets of toughened glass as balusters.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.