One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The mark left by the impression of a hand.
- ‘Numerous footprints, handprints, and painted hand stencils also exist in the archaeological record.’
- ‘‘We take handprints and footprints to document the fetus,’ the abortion counselor explained.’
- ‘Her own footprints and handprints will indeed be very much to be reckoned with in the continuation of this and kindred researches.’
- ‘A child's name, favorite sayings, or footprints and handprints all can make charming wall coverings.’
- ‘It was everywhere, the handprints, and the footprints, everywhere.’
- ‘Support the project by making a handprint; these handprints will be used in the final artwork that will stand as a monument for all women and survivors.’
- ‘The Hollywood-style promenade displays the handprints and footprints of stars from Jon Bon Jovi and Cliff Richard to Shirley Bassey and Tina Turner.’
- ‘Damon will leave his mark for posterity at the opening ceremony by putting his handprints in clay on a plaque which will later have pride of place within the building.’
- ‘So of course plain handprints evolved into footprints, and those mini footprints you can make with your fist and a finger.’
- ‘The Currency Lad argued last week that the Convention themes seemed to be marked with the President's own handprints.’
- ‘Made up of dozens of red handprints, the stripes reflect the involvement of every Rivermont student from 3-year-old preschoolers to high-school seniors.’
- ‘Along with the photo, my wife sent a sheet of paper and taped to it, a snippet of dark downy hair and a tiny handprint and a footprint no bigger than the end of my thumb.’
- ‘In different colours of paints, friends and other people had signed my walls and ceiling, leaving behind quotes, handprints, even footprints.’
- ‘The scars of cannonball fire still mark the exterior, and inside the main gate there are tiny handprints on the walls, the sati marks of the maharaja's widows who tragically joined him on his funeral pyre more than 150 years ago.’
- ‘Our thumbprints, our handprints are all over this plan.’
- ‘HOLLYWOOD-style handprints have been set in stone to mark a major modernisation scheme at York District Hospital.’
- ‘The singer marked his appearance by leaving his handprint in clay and signing the cast with a good luck message.’
- ‘Mikey was in the middle of nursing a red mark on his face that looked surprisingly like a handprint as I stomped back into the changing stall.’
- ‘If the pregnancy ends after 20 weeks, the Bethesda auxiliary provides parents with a memory album for footprints and handprints, a lock of hair, photos and other mementos.’
- ‘There were never any handprints, fingerprints, hair, or anything that led to the culprit.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.