Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- another term for handmaid
- ‘The Jewish Woman of the Year comes along with an actual award, a pyramid-shaped glass structure with a beautiful illustration of Miriam and her handmaidens dancing.’
- ‘And then, accompanied by many well-dressed servants and handmaidens, entered the most beautiful person Carson had ever seen.’
- ‘These two girls,’ Gesturing to the side, he indicated a pair of female servants that had appeared. ‘will be your handmaidens.’’
- ‘Anna and Nancy became close friends and Anna helped Nancy work up to the level of being recognized as Anna's handmaiden instead of a common servant.’
- ‘Her handmaiden is also far from your stereotyped female character.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.