One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1The act of taking or holding something in the hands.
- ‘Drug integrity is maintained by following label and veterinarian instructions for proper handling, storage, and observation of expiration date.’
- ‘Who knows how long these products have gone without refrigeration or without proper handling?’
- ‘Neil meets some pigeons at the banding station - all of whom never get harmed by hawks during banding due to protective leather jackets and expert handling by hawk banders.’
- ‘And depleted uranium seemed harmless in routine handling - until several Italian soldiers who served in the Balkans died of leukemia.’
- ‘And, because I had engineered his abduction, participated in the handling of his person and drove the car, I was the arch villain of his ruined day.’
- ‘Indirect food additives are those introduced into a food in trace amounts in the course of packaging, storage, or other handling.’
- ‘Product labels provide information on safe handling and application.’
- ‘Computer generated text requires limited physical contact in the same way that washing machines provide clean clothes with minimal manual handling.’
- 1.1 The packaging and labeling of something to be shipped.
- ‘Lengths vary with application and convenience of handling and shipping.’
- ‘Mailers rarely pay for special handling, so these live animals are shipped among tons of other packages.’
- ‘If you have a shipping box and an account with a service, your hotel may accommodate your packages without the handling fees tacked on at the convention center.’
- ‘Safe handling of packages is also assured through employee background checks and security training.’
- ‘The charges for labelling will be 0.50 per label and a handling charge of 5 per order.’
- ‘You also have to pay shipping and handling charges on top of the purchase price.’
- ‘Post-processing handling and packaging procedures must avoid post-pasteurisation contamination.’
- ‘Also, the product may be breaking down with age or it may have had rough or unusual handling in shipping.’
- ‘UPS does not provide special handling for such packages.’
- ‘Although the local companies are still mostly involved in the handling of documents or packages, some serve international markets.’
- ‘The remote is a free upgrade, but shipping and handling is not covered.’
- ‘UPS offers special handling for packages that customers identify as requiring a high level of security.’
- ‘When you customized your cabinets you may get charged for shipping, handling and installation.’
- ‘Because it is shipped locally, fuel requirements for handling and transportation are minimized.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.