Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The act of taking or holding something in the hands.
- ‘Drug integrity is maintained by following label and veterinarian instructions for proper handling, storage, and observation of expiration date.’
- ‘Neil meets some pigeons at the banding station - all of whom never get harmed by hawks during banding due to protective leather jackets and expert handling by hawk banders.’
- ‘Computer generated text requires limited physical contact in the same way that washing machines provide clean clothes with minimal manual handling.’
- ‘And depleted uranium seemed harmless in routine handling - until several Italian soldiers who served in the Balkans died of leukemia.’
- ‘And, because I had engineered his abduction, participated in the handling of his person and drove the car, I was the arch villain of his ruined day.’
- ‘Product labels provide information on safe handling and application.’
- ‘Indirect food additives are those introduced into a food in trace amounts in the course of packaging, storage, or other handling.’
- ‘Who knows how long these products have gone without refrigeration or without proper handling?’
- 1.1The packaging and labeling of something to be shipped.
- ‘UPS offers special handling for packages that customers identify as requiring a high level of security.’
- ‘The charges for labelling will be 0.50 per label and a handling charge of 5 per order.’
- ‘Because it is shipped locally, fuel requirements for handling and transportation are minimized.’
- ‘UPS does not provide special handling for such packages.’
- ‘When you customized your cabinets you may get charged for shipping, handling and installation.’
- ‘The remote is a free upgrade, but shipping and handling is not covered.’
- ‘Lengths vary with application and convenience of handling and shipping.’
- ‘Mailers rarely pay for special handling, so these live animals are shipped among tons of other packages.’
- ‘Also, the product may be breaking down with age or it may have had rough or unusual handling in shipping.’
- ‘Although the local companies are still mostly involved in the handling of documents or packages, some serve international markets.’
- ‘Safe handling of packages is also assured through employee background checks and security training.’
- ‘If you have a shipping box and an account with a service, your hotel may accommodate your packages without the handling fees tacked on at the convention center.’
- ‘You also have to pay shipping and handling charges on top of the purchase price.’
- ‘Post-processing handling and packaging procedures must avoid post-pasteurisation contamination.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.