One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A wide, thick mustache with the ends curving slightly upward.
- ‘Tinker, a career criminal, has spent much of his life in prison; he's pot-bellied, balding with straggly brown hair, and has a thick handlebar moustache.’
- ‘Or maybe he thinks I should grow a thick handlebar moustache?’
- ‘Regardless, this is just one of the ideas that I'm brainstorming to get me out of debt so I can pass checks at the grocery store without having to wear my fake handlebar mustache.’
- ‘It was Mr. Coltrane, looking a few years younger, in a bright yellow pair of swim trunks, with his arm around a short, trim blonde man, with a handlebar mustache and a wide smile.’
- ‘‘Horta is very cosmopolitan,’ he says, patting his handlebar mustache.’
- ‘Elected to the Hall of Fame in 1992, Fingers still sports the trademark handlebar mustache that makes him one of the most recognizable of all the 1970s A's.’
- ‘Cowboy Jeremy Mink, 29, is the real deal with a handlebar moustache, a.38-calibre revolver strapped to his side and a familial commitment to the 1,400 cattle he lives with throughout the year.’
- ‘With his handlebar moustache and penchant for multi-coloured bow ties, flamboyant Waterford architect Oliver Dempsey is used to standing out in the crowd.’
- ‘Six months after he left, Mr. Rasimus was back at Travis Air Force Base in California, wearing a bunch of medals and a handlebar mustache that he was assured was bulletproof.’
- ‘There Leonilda ‘Pelusa’ Marini and husband Marcello, wearing his extravagant handlebar mustache, introduced Houston to the joys of gaucho pies and garlicky green chimichurri sauce.’
- ‘I turned around and was greeted by a Texas size smile illuminating a well tanned, slender face with what I'd categorize as a handlebar moustache minus the handles.’
- ‘He has a handlebar mustache and wears a ‘well-ironed, button-down shirt’ that seems in odd contrast to his ‘worn out jeans and boots.’’
- ‘Captain Borneo was wearing a flight jacket, the cap and insignia of an American air force captain, but if that wasn't a fake handlebar mustache, the Duke would eat a can of film.’
- ‘A heavy handlebar moustache hangs over a solid jaw, grey with a permanent five o'clock shadow.’
- ‘His slightly receding hair was down to his waist, and he had a bushy handlebar mustache and huge sideburns.’
- ‘With his trademark handlebar mustache, lanky frame and camouflage clothes, the flamboyant outlaw had enjoyed a level of celebrity comparable to the screen idols of India's Bollywood movie industry.’
- ‘Such is the case with a rancher named Baxter, a selfish baron so cold-hearted and villainous he lacks only a handlebar mustache to twirl.’
- ‘‘It's too nice outside to be teaching a course,’ Beliveau says, his handlebar moustache rising slightly as he smiles.’
- ‘He has a handlebar mustache and a honey-smooth voice, and after telling us his name, he adds, ‘I am a prophet.’’
- ‘With a full handlebar moustache and sideburns, which took several weeks to grow, he was every bit the memorable family doctor.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.