One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The steering bar of a bicycle, motorcycle, scooter, or other vehicle, with a handgrip at each end.
- ‘Measure seat height, distance from the seat to the handlebars and handlebar height.’
- ‘Towards the finish, his handlebars came loose, he was unable to hold an aerodynamic position, and his challenge faded.’
- ‘Such baskets dangle from the handlebars of the bicycles, mopeds and motorbikes which are the transport of the masses.’
- ‘Changing partners in the House of Commons is about as helpful as wrapping your handlebars in blue tape rather than red.’
- ‘It has a vertical steering column and handlebars on which are attached a hand operated throttle lever and a brake grip.’
- ‘Is this common when carbon handlebars are mated with stems with four-bolt faceplates?’
- ‘Bicycle enthusiasts might want a set with handlebars, though it's unclear what purpose the handlebars serve.’
- ‘Sure, other steel handlebars have been made before for track sprinters who insist on steel for stiffness.’
- ‘If your handlebars slip in the stem clamp, that can be dangerous when you slam on your brakes.’
- ‘He injured his knee after banging it against his own handlebars during the team time trial in the first week of his first Tour.’
- ‘One year an enterprising bunch of local lads, spotting a gap in the market, offered trips back down to the station on the handlebars of their bicycles.’
- ‘My brother experienced going over the handlebars due to his front wheel locking up at slow speed.’
- ‘While the handlebars have been fashioned from those of a bicycle, the seat and wheels were borrowed from a scooter.’
- ‘He either perched his agile paws on Max's motorbike handlebars or snuggled into his travel bag as the pair purred along the road.’
- ‘Radio signals send that data to a computer mounted on the handlebars for the cyclists to read.’
- ‘So I made sure I kept my hands on the handlebars and waited to lift them in celebration until I was well and truly over the finishing line.’
- ‘Spade spun sideways narrowly avoiding getting scraped by the scooter's handlebars.’
- ‘The distracted cyclist flew over the handlebars and landed on the pavement.’
- ‘He was also shown a bicycle fork and handlebars that the prosecution alleged Hughes used to weigh down the bag to prevent its discovery.’
- ‘I remember driving around the Warner studio with him on the bicycle handlebars, just cruising around the lot.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.