One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hemline on a skirt or dress formed by panels of fabric which fall in points resembling the corners of a handkerchief.‘a handkerchief hem pulls the focus away from the hips and thighs, elongating the bottom half of the body’
- ‘Balancing out the structured pieces are airy dresses with handkerchief hems in solids or radical colored prints.’
- ‘We'll see everything from cheeky handkerchief hems to classic A-line shapes, funky asymmetrical hemlines, sexy slit dresses, and even elegant ballerina skirts.’
- ‘The brand once famous for its chenille ruffles and handkerchief hems has had a sharp new makeover.’
- ‘Long skirts with a handkerchief hem work well for tall, pear shaped women.’
- ‘She wore a black dress with spaghetti straps and a handkerchief hem.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.