1The emergency or parking brake on a motor vehicle.
- ‘Her son Bill said: ‘I do not know if the driver's handbrake failed or if it was not put on.’’
- ‘The rather unusual handbrake, now part of the facia and no longer between the seats, takes a bit of getting used to, but is extremely efficient and easy to operate, once your left hand remembers where it is!’
- ‘I also took a while to adjust to the fascia-mounted gearstick and the right side-mounted handbrake but eventually accustomed myself to them.’
- ‘Vandals have left a trail of destruction across a Yorkshire town by releasing handbrakes of cars parked on steep hills.’
- ‘The gear lever and handbrake fit snugly between the two seats and the indicators and switches are easy to reach.’
- 1.1A brake operated by hand, as on a bicycle.