One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A tool held in the hand and operated without electricity or other power.
- ‘They carried a single hand tool - a small pointed trowel, about 3x8‘; it was so flimsy that it needed to be replaced every few days.’’
- ‘She said inside the blue Astra van, was a number of tools, including assorted paint brushes, scrapers, paint, tool belt with hand tools, masonry drill bits and tool box containing electrical test equipment.’
- ‘If you have to use glass squares, then you can do this by using a glass cutting wheel hand tool to make the scores.’
- ‘The Power Tool Drag Races are an annual series of attractions in San Francisco - machinists and hippies building drag racers powered by various hand tools and then racing them for fame, glory, and small cash prizes.’
- ‘The rescue team can use hand tools ranging from socket sets to screw drivers.’
- ‘Then, digging reluctantly into my pocket, I acquired an onion hoe - a hand tool with a half-moon shaped blade set vertically on the end.’
- ‘Punches were used to stamp the fixed symbols such as notes and clefs on to a pewter plate, while the engraver continued to cut in the flexible signs, such as phrasing and note stems, with a hand tool.’
- ‘Rural Shias are illiterate, and they are peasants, and they use primitive tools, hand tools to till the land.’
- ‘Red Cross centres are also running low on supplies, with shortages of water tanks, pumps, hoses, chainsaws and hand tools.’
- ‘Use the end of a hand tool or a stick to tamp the soil until firm.’
- ‘Mr. Kalam and another colleague scraped the payload with a small hand tool until it mated with the rocket.’
- ‘The stripper is simply a small hand tool that resembles a pair of cutting pliers.’
- ‘Once the floor is initially screeded (usually with a truss screed), the first hand tool in the superflat process is the saw beam (straightedge with handles).’
- ‘Why struggle even for a moment with a piece of machinery when a non-polluting hand tool, which damages the soil structure far less than even the lightest tiller, will do?’
- ‘But a comparably high level of shock can be produced just by tapping with a hand tool such as a screwdriver, by knocking two drives together, or forcing a drive into its slot.’
- ‘This is neither a drill nor any other type of rotary hand tool.’
- ‘Two drills and other hand tools were taken from a white transit van parked in Layer Road, Abberton.’
- ‘In the 1980s, Leatherman marketed a multifunction hand tool called the Pocket Survival Tool.’
- ‘He wants to build on the traditional goods but also add exports from India of sports goods, electrical fixtures, hand tools, car parts and others.’
- ‘Hardware stores everywhere sell something called an edger - the hand tool you'll need if you want the kind of rounded edges you can see on sidewalks.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.