One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A puppet operated by putting one's hand inside it.
- ‘A couple of scenes had what looked like a hand puppet dancing on the bottom.’
- ‘I should explain - I got a fighting nun for Christmas, a hand puppet, and now it serves as a handy conversation tool for whenever conversation gets too deep, or too difficult.’
- ‘Wearing a KFC bucket for a hat and talking through a hand puppet is not the strangest thing anyone's ever done.’
- ‘Student Andrew Galbraith, Wabbit's right hand man told the Independent Weekly after the election that he didn't realize that a hand puppet would get so far in the election after sliding into second place by only 228 votes.’
- ‘Sometimes ventriloquist Sherry Lewis and her hand puppet Lamb Chop dropped by which made the show more palatable for me because ventriloquism has always fascinated me, as have impressionists.’
- ‘The other point that you are ignoring is that the point of the sketch was to show the absurdity of racial or ethnic stereotypes because who would have thought that a rubber hand puppet would be taken so seriously?’
- ‘The budget was so low that the monster was played by Kneale, operating an improvised hand puppet through a blown-up photograph of the Abbey - ironically, a more convincing effect than that achieved in the movie.’
- ‘How do you do that, when a hand puppet represents the antagonist, or to simulate a rocket taking off, the camera pulls away from a desk lamp?’
- ‘One of Conan's regular skits is the hand puppet named Triumph the Insult Comic Dog.’
- ‘If you got too successful, Apple competed against you (although sometimes they had a hand puppet called Claris compete against you so they could pretend it wasn't them.)’
- ‘A hand puppet called Harold is used to get across the message to the youngest children while older pupils learn about healthy lifestyles and the implications of drug abuse.’
- ‘And there may be some bad news in the announcement that the first release will include a booklet and a Bullwinkle hand puppet.’
- ‘In our recent study, 12 -, 15-and 18-month-olds watched a video of an adult removing a mitten from a pink fuzzy hand puppet, shaking it to ring a bell inside and then putting it back on.’
- ‘Of course, one has to ask whether it is a puppet operated by string or a hand puppet.’
- ‘What I'm hearing is what sounds like a lawyer speaking, almost as though he were working a hand puppet here.’
- ‘A character who looks like he might have stepped out of the commedia dell'arte, wearing a jacket with multihued tufts, wields a primitive hand puppet (Puppeteer).’
- ‘Her baby is a hand puppet, for which she is totally unable to ventriloquize a voice.’
- ‘We were hidden at the back of the schoolyard having just conducted a rather seedy transaction - I had traded my Sesame Street hand puppet for The Osmond's Crazy Horses album.’
- ‘It did take her three goes to get to remove the sinister hand puppet called ‘Mr Starey’ from the storyline, but I accept that she was right now.’
- ‘There is Mr. Garrison, a closeted educator who teaches the day's lessons with the help of Mr. Hat, his bug eyed hand puppet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.