One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A hand-thrown grenade.
- ‘There are machine-guns, a hand grenade and a bazooka.’
- ‘Two years ago Valencia's security firm honored her when she detected a toy hand grenade and two weeks later, a loaded handgun.’
- ‘Officers eventually evacuated the building before the bomb squad arrived and removed the hand grenade, carrying out a controlled explosion elsewhere.’
- ‘Army bomb disposal experts were called in after a hand grenade was discovered near Hollymount, off the Lee Road.’
- ‘Both of them were cleared of two charges alleging they were in possession of a hand grenade and a revolver.’
- ‘Defence Ministry Secretary Austin Fernando claimed that a hand grenade had been set off as the police fired tear gas into the crowd.’
- ‘Equipped with sniffer dogs and metal detectors, they found a sniper rifle, a hand grenade and supplies of ammunition.’
- ‘Before me is a tall, heavily built youth in a red sweater, with a hand grenade and a Makarov pistol tucked in his leather belt.’
- ‘Of all things that can be used as a paperweight, the hand grenade is a poor choice.’
- ‘A teenager sparked a major bomb alert after he took a de-activated hand grenade into his school - to use as a prop for a drama lesson.’
- ‘One unit that had taken this intrusive approach confiscated only an old pistol and one hand grenade after several weeks of work.’
- ‘Another example would be the case of a soldier who shields his fellow officers from a live hand grenade by sacrificing his own body to the explosion.’
- ‘In fact, ever since World War I, the most common type of bomb carried by a person has been the hand grenade.’
- ‘There is no cradling of the hand grenade in this household, because the hand grenade will look at you like What do you think I am, a baby?’
- ‘His blasting powders and fuses were also instrumental in the revival of the hand grenade shortly after his death.’
- ‘On a counter in the apparent bomb factory were a disassembled hand grenade, rubber gloves and numerous bottles of chemicals.’
- ‘Witnesses said American soldiers had fired on a crowd after a hand grenade was thrown at them.’
- ‘Police claim they found a rifle, ammunition and a hand grenade on the compound during their search on Thursday.’
- ‘He was wounded by a hand grenade and a bullet and still led his unit to capture enemy positions.’
- ‘A high-school student pulled out a hand grenade and started waving it, and police fired into the air to disperse the crowd.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.