Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of fighting) at close quarters.‘training in hand-to-hand combat’
- ‘The game should have stuck to more hand-to-hand combat action, which it does relatively well.’
- ‘His struggle plunged his remaining clip into the dino's hip, equalizing the hand-to-hand fight.’
- ‘Greg flew at him and in a moment they were engaged in hand-to-hand combat.’
- ‘He's a former Israeli special forces commando and top hand-to-hand combat instructor.’
- ‘I will also be there, unarmed and unaccompanied - you will be able to battle me in hand-to-hand combat.’
- ‘You'll have three hours of hand-to-hand combat, and then three hours of weapons training.’
- ‘While he was a good challenge at longer ranges, he had difficulty fighting in close and in hand-to-hand combat.’
- ‘Individual streets were fought over using hand-to-hand combat.’
- ‘As a result, she was fairly good in a hand-to-hand fight, and could shoot a stone with a sling amazingly far and accurate.’
- ‘It is not long before the goons are overrunning the guards and engaging with them in hand-to-hand combat.’
- ‘Sarah bowed out and ran over to Lauren and Rachel who were engaged in hand-to-hand combat with the guards.’
- ‘In a few years, maybe, you will have to do a little hand-to-hand combat with him in those wee bleak hours, when confidence threatens to drain away.’
- ‘At present, she was trying to fight Jeremy in hand-to-hand combat, and was failing.’
- ‘Why not include hand-to-hand battles with Roman characters, or even chariot races for control of a particular piece of land?’
- ‘Political Editor Simon McGee reports on the close hand-to-hand fight over Yorkshire's only three-way marginal.’
- ‘She was sure that if they had fought hand-to-hand combat without concealed weapons, they would lose for sure.’
- ‘Their experience with explosives and hand-to-hand combat have to be good for a touching moment or two.’
- ‘The plan was for all the fast guys to receive reinforcements from the slower ones after a brief moment of hand-to-hand combat.’
- ‘He killed this enemy in hand-to-hand combat, gathered up the ammunition and returned to his unit.’
- ‘Her best fights were hand-to-hand, but she wasn't half bad at weapons, either.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.