Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a person) feed and care for (a young animal) until it is fully grown.‘the baby gorillas were hand-reared by zookeepers after being rejected by their mothers’‘hand-reared pheasants’
- ‘A NEW brooder room for incubating eggs and hand-rearing baby birds is to be formally opened at the Johannesburg Zoo.’
- ‘Today, though, most game sold in our supermarkets has been hand-reared or farmed, and its special aromas and flavours are diminished.’
- ‘Roberts raises usually 13 youngsters a year, some of which are left with their parents, while others are removed for hand-rearing, with the parents sometimes laying again.’
- ‘Romina was born at Rome Zoo and hand-reared by keepers.’
- ‘A maximum of six chicks were hand-reared at any given time.’
- ‘More than 1,500 hand-reared heath fritillary butterflies have been reintroduced into their former natural habitat.’
- ‘I've got 11 sheep of my own that have all been hand-reared.’
- ‘Previously most reintroduction efforts consisted mainly in transferring hand-reared birds directly into the wild.’
- ‘But the foal's mother still refused to accept him and ever since Mrs White has been hand-rearing him.’
- ‘The baby rabbits are nine days old and are now being hand-reared around the clock.’
- ‘More and more rhinos are being hand-reared in small areas for hunting purposes.’
- ‘She's hand-rearing this cheetah cub, just one of the many she's nurtured to adulthood.’
- ‘In such cases, the young storks are hand-reared.’
- ‘She will also be helping to hand-rear orphaned animals.’
- ‘The piglets, who have been rejected by their mother, are being hand-reared at the school.’
- ‘The chicks are being hand-reared in a Department of Conservation "safe house".’
- ‘Tame young birds are kept in adjacent pens, so that the hand-reared birds will be familiar with other members of their species.’
- ‘Of the 21 chicks recovered in 2000 to 2001, 15 were returned to their parents and six had to be hand-reared in a bird rehabilitation center.’
- ‘But several hours later the week-old baby was be-coming dehydrated, so she decided to try to hand-rear him using a syringe filled with sugar water.’
- ‘Farmers could find themselves breaking the new rules by moving young stock, including pet lambs which need hand-rearing.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.