A small hook or hooklike projection, especially one of a number linking the fore- and hind wings of a bee or wasp.
- ‘The tensor palatini muscle joins this muscular sling as it sweeps around the hamulus, a bony prominence of the lateral palate.’
- ‘An enlarged hamulus may articulate with the maxillary process of the zygomatic bone.’
- ‘It curves laterally at its distal end into a hook-like process, the pterygoid hamulus, around which the tendon of the Tensor veli palatini glides.’
- ‘The maxillary process may articulate with the lacrimal hamulus.’
- ‘It arises from the ulna, on its medial or volar surface, and is inserted onto the pisiform bone, the hamulus, the proximal end of the fifth metacarpal, the capsule of carpal articulations, or abductor digiti quinti.’
Early 18th century: from Latin, diminutive of hamus hook.