Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A solitary burrowing rodent with a short tail and large cheek pouches for carrying food, native to Europe and northern Asia.
- ‘Akina removed her sunglasses as she entered the store, smiling when she saw small gerbils and hamsters.’
- ‘Penicillin is a very useful drug for humans but kills guinea pigs and hamsters.’
- ‘Pet hamsters and gerbils are a familiar sight at many schools but Old Palace has decided to go one better and adopt a llama.’
- ‘Animal experiments on rats, hamsters, guinea pigs, mice, monkeys, and baboons revealed no link between glass fibers and cancer.’
- ‘Also, gerbils and hamsters are better left to be owned by friends, where we can go over and visit them and hold them and go home and never have to clean a cage.’
- ‘A former voluntary worker says pythons there fed on pet rabbits, hamsters and gerbils that had been entrusted to the zoo's care.’
- ‘People are invited to bring along pets - from hamsters and guinea pigs to cats and dogs - to take part in the pet show, a new event for this year.’
- ‘Experiments revealed the same cells that have also been discovered in rats, gophers, gerbils, mice, and hamsters.’
- ‘At school, our classroom had a small rodent zoo consisting of two rabbits, three hamsters, a litter of baby gerbils and a guinea pig.’
- ‘Dogs, cats, hamsters, a pet rat, goldfish, frogs and guinea pigs weren't enough for us.’
- ‘Most people are familiar with mice, rats, hamsters, and guinea pigs, which are commonly kept as pets.’
- ‘Gerbils and hamsters can bite and even the most innocent-looking rabbits can't be trusted but the Talking Bird Class was the real challenge.’
- ‘To me, they all look like small, furry, kind of cute-looking little things - like hamsters, gerbils, shrews and mice.’
- ‘Pregnant women should avoid contact with hamsters or other rodents.’
- ‘In case you ever have a problem identifying rodents again, hamsters are cute and stuff food into their cheeks.’
- ‘So from my earliest childhood there was a bond created between myself and my animals, which were little pets like hamsters and gerbils.’
- ‘If you've got chinchillas or hamsters or any other small furry creatures, there is more than a trip to the microwave in store for them when it comes to playtime.’
- ‘Donkeys, dogs, gerbils, hamsters, rabbits, parrots and newts are most likely to get a present.’
- ‘I adored my quota of kittens, puppies, guinea pigs, hamsters and polecats, but infant pigs have extra loveability.’
- ‘We recycle everything, usually through our neighbours' kids' rabbits, hamsters and guinea pigs.’
Early 17th century: from German, from Old High German hamustro weevil.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.