One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The price realized by an item sold at auction.
- ‘In total, 5 Piccininis which the artist sold for less than $15,000 in total changed hands for a combined hammer price of $137, 800.’
- ‘Mike Gibson's wife has doubled her money in little more than 12 months with the hammer price of $67, 500 for Psychogeography at Sotheby's last week.’
- ‘Many other eminent artists gave their work to the gallery, some taking 50 per cent of the hammer price and others giving their work away for free, while Christies took no commission for hosting the event.’
- ‘None of the yearlings sold during the third Internet auction brought more than their initial hammer price during the live auction.’
- ‘However, most art is traded in a rather limited marketplace, and at any one auction there are likely to be as many lots that fail to attract buyers as lots where the hammer price is above the indicated price range of the house.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.