A plant adapted to growing in saline conditions, as in a salt marsh.
- ‘Such investigations would lead to the study of higher plant halophytes, which in nature often encounter high salinity and alkaline pH values at the same time.’
- ‘Physiologically salt tolerance is also complex, with halophytes and less tolerant plants showing a wide range of adaptations.’
- ‘However, the mechanisms taken by the seeds of halophytes to adapt to saline stress are still poorly understood.’
- ‘These plants, known as halophytes, include a large taxonomic variety and occupy diverse habitats, from extremely dry to temporarily waterlogged sites or salt marshes.’
- ‘Shoots of the halophyte Salicornia bigelovii are larger and more succulent when grown in highly saline environments.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.