One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘The halophilic diatom C. elkab comprises at least 10% of the fossil flora throughout OD2, and increases toward the OD2 - OD3 boundary in sediments deposited during lake-level decline in the 1930s and early 1940s.’
- ‘These pictures show an immense bloom of a halophilic (‘salt-loving’; dependent on high salt concentrations) archaean species, in a saline pond at a salt works near San Quintin, Baja California Norte, Mexico.’
- ‘Bacteriorhodopsin is the light-harvesting protein of the purple membrane of the halophilic microorganism Halobacterium halobium.’
- ‘Photoactive yellow protein is a water-soluble photoreceptor protein responsible for the negative bluelight-induced phototaxis of the halophilic phototropic bacterium, Halorhodospira halophila.’
- ‘Only the evolutionarily ancient halophilic Archaea, restricted to marginal habitats such as brine ponds, appear to rely extensively on inorganic osmolytes at high concentrations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.