One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A synthetic antidepressant drug used chiefly in the treatment of psychotic conditions.
- ‘Treatment of delirium requires use of neuroleptic drugs, such as haloperidol and chlorpromazine, not sedatives.’
- ‘Isolated instances of such damage have been reported with such drugs as benoxaprofen, chlorpromazine, haloperidol, imipramine, and others.’
- ‘He conducted double-blind controlled trials on the important antipsychotic drugs chlorpromazine and haloperidol, and later on antidepressants.’
- ‘Although the use of high potency antipsychotic drugs like haloperidol brings an increased risk of extrapyramidal side effects, the actual reported incidence is low.’
- ‘Haloperidol, promethazine, and midazolam are on Rio's list of essential drugs, and haloperidol and promethazine are on the World Health Organization's model list of essential drugs.’
1960s: blend of halogen and piperidine + -ol.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.