Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Introduce one or more halogen atoms into (a compound or molecule), usually in place of hydrogen.
- ‘Five classes of pesticides were examined in the new study: phosphates, pyrethroids, halogenated hydrocarbons, carbamates, and endocrine disruptors.’
- ‘Nitromethane, a stabilizer added to many halogenated solvents and aerosol propellants.’
- ‘The closest things are some other halogenated pyrroles found in some marine bacteria, lending credence to the theory that this is a biogenic material.’
- ‘Methane can also be halogenated by free radical substitution.’
- ‘In conditions similar to those encountered in burning domestic waste, thermolysis of Teflon produces halogenated organic acids, which act as greenhouse gases and may promote global warming.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.