One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A chlorofluorocarbon or other compound in which the hydrogen of a hydrocarbon is replaced by halogens.
- ‘Minor greenhouse gases include methane, nitrous oxide, sulfur hexafluoride and halocarbons such as perfluoromethane, freon and other CFCs.’
- ‘It should also be mentioned that other chemical substances have attacked the ozone layer including nitrous oxides from fertilisers, chlorine, carbon dioxide and bromine halocarbons.’
- ‘Countries signing the Montreal Protocol on Substances That Deplete the Ozone Layer have pledged to eliminate manufacture and use of halocarbons.’
- ‘In recent years, society has introduced new greenhouse gases into the atmosphere, namely CFCs and other halocarbons.’
- ‘Selecting either a halocarbon or inert gas, two types of clean agents, depends upon available space for suppression system tanks and venting capabilities.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.